The Syracuse Orchestra is always looking for talented individuals who can help expand our mission to influence and educate the Syracuse community through the power of music. View the information below to learn about our available positions and how to apply. Thank you for your interest in The Syracuse Orchestra!
ARTISTIC JOB OPENINGS
All winning candidates are required to show proof of US citizenship or eligibility to work in the United States.
SUBSTITUTE AND EXTRA MUSICIANS
Auditions for Substitute and Extra Musicians are held periodically. To be considered please send a one page résumé to Arvilla Wendland at
*Acceptance to The Syracuse Orchestra’s Substitute and Extra List does not guarantee employment.
The Syracuse Orchestra is proud to be a partner orchestra of the National Alliance for Audition Support (NAAS), an unprecedented national initiative to increase diversity in American orchestras. It will do so by offering Black and Latinx musicians a customized combination of mentoring, audition preparation, financial support, and audition previews. Learn more at http://www.auditionalliance.org.
Job Title: Stagehand for The Syracuse Orchestra
Reports to: Stage Manager
Responsible for assisting with the physical operation of the orchestra that includes staging, set-up and strike, and storage and maintenance of equipment. Responsible for assisting with the preparation and appearance of the stage for rehearsals and performances; assisting in the production of orchestra services as determined by the Orchestra Manager and/or Stage Manager by performing the following duties.
- Assist with the set-up of the orchestra: chairs, music stands, percussion, large instruments, and other equipment as assigned. This may include assisting with set changes for concerts. It also includes providing the best possible working conditions for musicians on and off stage and assisting our staff in anticipating logistical problems.
- Assist with implementation of stage logistics in all venues, to ensure the rehearsal/performance space meets all criteria outlined in the CBA contract
- Load and unload the truck at the rehearsal/concert venue in a safe, efficient manner.
- Assist the stage manager with addressing musician working condition concerns as they pertain to the CBA, such as temperature, lighting or safety. Help implement proactive strategies to minimize musician concerns.
- Assist with maintaining inventory of all our equipment, making periodic checks on conditions and performing minor repairs or arranging necessary repairs if needed as assigned.
- Other duties as required by the Orchestra Manager, Stage manager, and other Syracuse Orchestra staff as needed.
- Conduct oneself with professional decorum at all times, to include language and physical appearance.
- Minimum 1 year of orchestra or theater stage experience preferred
- Working knowledge of orchestral instruments, percussion instruments, and orchestral seating conventions helpful
- Ability to lift, carry and move up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work efficiently as a team member in a deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
Hours – The Syracuse Orchestra presents a series of concerts throughout the season, with each set consisting of performances at a variety of venues. The schedule is flexible, and stagehands can pick the shifts that fit their schedule. Rehearsals are usually held at any time during the day and are typically 6-8 hours. Out of town concerts times lengthen the call times and vary depending on the location of the event. This position is part time on an AS NEEDED BASIS with advance notice.
Physical Demands – The stagehand will have to lift supplies, instruments and equipment. This person may also need to stand for long periods of time while preparing and running concert events.
Pay Rate is $18.00/hr with a minimum 2 hr call
How to Apply:
Please email a letter of interest, three references, and a resume to:
Orchestra Manager ebly@SyracuseOrchestra.org
Or send a hard copy to:
The Syracuse Orchestra
Attn: Ergo Blydenburgh
450 S. Salina St., Suite 100
Syracuse, NY 13202
Join The Syracuse Orchestra team and experience the excitement of a growing arts nonprofit! Located in downtown Syracuse, The Syracuse Orchestra is Central New York’s professional symphony orchestra and features a core of 50 experienced musicians who are committed to Central New York. Founded in December 2012, The Syracuse Orchestra operates as one of only two cooperatively structured orchestras in the U.S. – with musicians at the heart of the organization. The Syracuse Orchestra currently reaches more than 100,000 Central New York community members of all ages through more than 50 concerts each year in venues large and small, including a summer season of up to 10 free outdoor performances in parks throughout the region.
Our mission is to engage and inspire community members throughout CNY through outstanding orchestral and ensemble performances, and innovative education and outreach initiatives.
MARKETING, including managing social media, post-concert surveys and analysis, website updates and content enhancement, materials distribution, and targeted audience development;
DEVELOPMENT, including donor and sponsor benefit fulfillment and tracking, event coordination and support, on-line foundation and corporate research, and database support;
CONCERT PRODUCTION, including assisting with concert set-up and strike, hospitality for guest artists and conductors, and a variety of pre- and post-concert responsibilities;
EDUCATION & OUTREACH, including communicating with area educators, assisting with the development and distribution of program materials, research and development of program assessment tools, and on-site support for Syracuse Orchestra outreach initiatives.
MUSIC LIBRARY, including preparing music for distribution, expanding our music library database, ordering, copying, and bowing parts, and assisting Syracuse Orchestra’s music librarian as needed.
The successful candidate(s) will demonstrate a commitment to excellence, and the capacity to work both independently and as part of a team. Interns must demonstrate excellent organization skills, computer literacy in all standard programs (graphics expertise a plus), attention to detail, and well developed communication and interpersonal skills. Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs. The Syracuse Orchestra offers a flexible schedule, with a minimum commitment of at least 10 hrs/wk.
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references to: Pamela Murchison, Executive Director, at PMurchison@SyracuseOrchestra.